Step 2: Space & Materials
What are the goals in Step 2?
- Offer a variety of materials to support play and learning experiences for children with different interests and abilities.
- Serve nutritious food to children.
Why is Step 2 important?
A child’s work is play! Having enough of the right materials that are set-up in a chosen space encourages children to play. When children develop good play skills, they are better prepared for school, work and life.
How do I show that I meet the Step 2 Quality Standards?
- Demonstrate how your program serves nutritious food to children. Choose 1 of 4 options that best fits your program.
- Demonstrate how you use your space & materials to support play and learning experiences through an Environment Rating Scale® (ERS®) observation. The Environment Rating Scale® is a reliable, valid, research-based observational tool, which is designed to assess the quality of the environment. A Bright & Early ND Assessor completes an ERS® observation and programs must earn an average score of 4.0 or greater on each tool used.
- Meet Professional Development Quality Standards.
- Plus, the Health and Safety Quality Standards in Step 1.
Get Help with Step 2: Together We're Better
Are you interested in taking your program quality to the next level? We've teamed up with Child Care Aware of North Dakota® to help you achieve your Step 2 Quality Rating. You have the option to work with a Coach the entire time, so you never have to go it alone. Coaching is not required, but it's to your benefit to have a coach. Here's why:
- Someone by your side to help you navigate the Bright & Early North Dakota Quality Standards.
- A cheerleader on your team to encourage & provide feedback as you work toward YOUR goals!
Resources to Help with Step 2